2018 Solicitation of Candidates03/01/2018
The City of Lewes will hold its Annual Municipal Election on Saturday May 12, 2018 in Lewes City Hall, 114 E Third Street, Lewes DE 19958.
Persons interested in becoming a candidate for the 2018 election must file a Candidate Filing Form with the City Manager indicating their desire to become a candidate for Mayor or Councilperson. Five or more persons qualified to vote in the Annual Election may file the name of a candidate provided the candidate gives his or her written consent. This form is available on the City’s website, www.ci.lewes.de.us or by coming into Lewes City Hall.
Candidate Filing Forms will be accepted:
March 1, 2018 at 9:00am thru April 5, 2018 at 4:30pm
- Must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Delaware;
- Must have been a qualified voter of the City of Lewes for at least one (1) year prior to May 12, 2018;
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- Have not been convicted of a felony;
- Each of the candidates for Mayor or City Council person must continue with said qualifications to hold office, and the failure to have any of these qualifications during his/her term of office shall create a vacancy in the office.
ELIGIBILITY TO VOTE:
Every person, male or female, who is 18 years old on or before the date of the Annual Municipal Election and is a citizen of the United States and a citizen of the City of Lewes, shall have one (1) vote provided he/she is registered on the Books of Registered Voters for the City of Lewes. A citizen of the City of Lewes shall be deemed to include any person who is a qualified voter of the State of Delaware and is a bona fide resident of the City of Lewes.
Any person meeting these qualifications may register to vote at the City Manager’s Office by completing the required form and providing photo identification with proof of City of Lewes residency. Business hours of the Office of the City Manager are Monday – Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm. The last day for Voter registration is Friday, April 27, 2018 until 4:00 p.m.