Your responsibility as a bicyclist:
- Bike parking racks are located throughout town.
- A bicycle has the same rights and responsibilities as a motor vehicle.
- No bicycle shall be used to carry more passengers at one time than those for whom it was designed or equipped. An adult rider may carry a child securely attached to his or her person in a backpack, sling, or child seat.
- Anyone riding at night must have a white headlight visible for 500 feet and a red reflector or a red light on the rear of the bicycle.
- A bicyclist must ride as close as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway and travel in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic.
- Bicycles are not permitted on sidewalks, withing Lewes City limits, except children ages 12 years or younger.
- A cyclist pushing a bicycle across a roadway or a crosswalk shall have all the rights of a pedestrian.
- Delaware State law: Cyclists under 18 must wear an approved bicycle helmet. (DE Code, Title 21, Chapter 41, Subchapter XII, § 4198K, Helmet Requirements).
- Delaware law prohibits the use of headphones or earbuds in both ears while riding. (DE Code, Title 21, Chapter 41, Subchapter XII, § 4198H, Use of earplugs and headsets restricted).