Historic Preservation Architectural Review Commission (HPARC)
The Historic Preservation Architectural Review Commission (HPARC) was established by the Mayor & City Council in May 2019.
The goal of the HPARC is to encourage historical preservation, without discouraging creativity or growth, in keeping with the City's Core Values. Approval by the HPARC is required for, but not limited to, any work that alters the exterior facade of a structure visible from the public right of way. The City of Lewes HPC User Guide for Home Renovation & Construction in the Historic District is available to help with this process. If you live within the Historic District of Lewes, please refer to this guide when planning any renovation or new construction.
Completing a Building Permit Application (Renovation/Addition/Demolition) triggers the review process if your property is within the Historic District. All meetings of the HPARC are open to the public and decisions are based on the plans and on the information presented by the applicant and/or representative, along with a discussion with the Commission. Please refer to the User Guide for the criteria used by the HPARC when reviewing an application. The Building Official can be contacted at the City Manager's Office, at Lewes City Hall, 114 E. Third Street, Lewes DE 19958, (302) 645-7777 x120.
- Barbara Warnell, Chairperson
- Michael DiPaolo, Vice Chairperson
- Michael Weider, Secretary
- George Thomasson
- Debra Evalds, Planning Commission liaison
- Joe Elder, Council Liaison, ex-officio
- Ann Marie Townshend, City Manager, staff
- John Robitaille, Building Official, staff
- Janelle Cornwell, City Planner, staff
- Jacqueline Doherty, Recording Secretary
- Alex Burns, Legal Counsel
The Historic Preservation Architectural Review Commission meets the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM in Council Chambers at City Hall, unless otherwise noted.
- Application Form
- HPC 2014 Brochure
- Building Permit Application (Renovation/Addition/Demolition)
- HPARC Bylaws
- City of Lewes National Register Inventory 1992