The Planning Commission was established by Mayor & City Council in 1987 with the adoption of Chapter 33 of the Lewes City Code, consisting of not less than 5 and not more than 9 members appointed by the Mayor & City Council for staggered terms of 3-years.
The Planning Commission’s authority has been vested by the State of Delaware in Chapter 7, Title 22 of the Delaware Code and by Resolution of the Lewes Mayor & City Council.
It is the responsibility of the Planning Commission to review and make recommendations to Mayor & City Council regarding land development, major & minor subdivision applications, amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and the updating of the Lewes Comprehensive Plan.
- Nancy Staisey, PhD - Chairperson
- Melanie Moser - Vice-Chairpersonn& Liaison to HPARC
- Bob Heffernan - Secretary
- Debra Evalds
- Joe Hoechner
- Richard Innes
- Thomas Jensen
- Amy Marasco
- Jackie Mette
- Timothy Ritzert - City Council (ex-officio)
- Andrew Williams - Mayor (ex-officio)
- Tom Owen - Board of Public Works (ex-officio)
- Ann Marie Townshend - City Manager (ex-officio)
- Glenn Mandalas - Attorney
- Janelle Cornwell, AICP - Planning & Building Manager
- Jacqueline Doherty - Recording Secretary
The Planning Commission meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm. Meetings are held in the Rollins Community Center at 101 Adams Ave. unless otherwise noted.
Pending applications may be reviewed and comments may be submitted on the City’s development review page.
- Planning Commission Bylaws
- Delaware Code, Title 22, Chapter 7
- Chapter 170 - Subdivision and Land Development
- Chapter 197 - Zoning
Work on the following projects is coordinated by designated subcommittees:
- Wetlands Buffer Subcommittee - Complete
- Floodplain Fill Subcommittee - Complete
- Sea Level Rise Subcommittee -
- Action Plan Subcommittee - Complete
- Floodplain Subcommittee - Complete
- Annexation Subcommittee - Melanie Moser, Chair
- Subdivision Code Subcommittee - Nancy Staisey, Chair
The link in Development Reviews will take you to the active development page.