Notice of Solicitation of Candidates
2024 Municipal Election
The City of Lewes will hold its Annual Municipal Election on Saturday, May 11, 2024 in Lewes City Hall, 114 E. Third Street, Lewes Delaware.
Two Council seats are open for a 3-year term.
Persons interested in becoming a candidate for the 2024 election must file a Candidate Filing Form with the City Manager indicating their desire to become a candidate for Councilperson. Five or more persons qualified to vote in the Annual Election may file the name of a candidate provided the candidate gives his or her written consent. This form is available on the City’s website, www.ci.lewes.de.us or by visiting Lewes City Hall.
March 1, 2024 at 8:00 a.m. through April 4, 2024 at 4:30 p.m.
- Must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State of Delaware;
- Must have been a qualified voter of the City of Lewes for at least one (1) year prior to May 11, 2024;
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- Have not been convicted of a felony;
- Each of the candidates for Mayor or City Council person must continue with said qualifications to hold office, and the failure to have any of these qualifications during his/her term of office shall create a vacancy in the office.
ELIGIBILITY TO VOTE:
The City of Lewes recently adopted an ordinance which allows the City to utilize the State voter registration system for municipal elections. An eligible voter in the municipal election is a citizen of the City whose bona fide domiciliary is the City of Lewes. To confirm your voter registration, visit the website ivote.de.gov. The City will continue to provide updated information on our website regarding the election, including how to vote by absentee ballot.
Business hours of the Office of the City Manager are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The last day for Voter registration is Friday, April 26, 2024 until 4:30 p.m.
Please contact City Hall at 302-645-7777 if you have any questions about voting.